The origins of Lincoln Park can be traced back to the 1763 Conspiracy of Pontiac and French ribbon farms belonging to the Goodells, Keppens, Drouillards, LeBlancs, and Bourassas. This book, composed by the Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance and featuring over 200 rare photographs from the Lincoln Park Historical Museum, reveals how a sleepy agricultural community known as Quandt’s Corners grew into a village and eventually a bustling business community—due in large part to Henry Ford’s innovative “five dollars a day” incentive at the nearby Ford Rouge plant. Through these vintage photographs, Lincoln Park captures the events and everyday activities that have come to define one of southeastern Michigan’s most distinctive communities. Featured in this collection are Lincoln Park’s schools, churches, businesses, and organizations, as well as its 20th-century identity as a melting pot of Italian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovakian, and Mexican immigrants.
Author Bio: The Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and protection of Lincoln Park’s historic resources, working to protect Lincoln Park’s historic sites through education, advocacy, research, tours, workshops, and lectures. The alliance also collaborates with the Lincoln Park Historical Society and Historical Commission. In February 2004, the Lincoln Park Preservation Alliance established the former Lincoln Park Post Office—now the Lincoln Park Historical Museum—as the community’s first site listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: