Established in 1852, Findlay Market is Ohio’s oldest public market in continuous operation. Findlay Market opened just outside Cincinnati’s city limits on land donated by James Findlay, in an area then known as the “Northern Liberties.” Because the Northern Liberties lay beyond city jurisdiction, the area was known for social liberties such as prostitution, bootlegging, and thievery. In an effort to protect “the housewives” shopping there, city officials annexed the Findlay Market area. Annexation, however, did little to quell Findlay Market’s outlying spirit. This spirit has contributed to its outlasting every other municipal market in the city and a rebelliousness that infuses the generations of vendors and shoppers who have forged strong relationships with one another and who continue to demand the City of Cincinnati wrestle with the complex urban challenges surrounding this beloved institution.
Author Bio: Liz Tilton worked closely with Findlay Market and its vendors doing research for this book. Generations of market families culled these images from their attics and basements. Much of the narration arose from family storytelling in response to the images and is further informed by newspaper accounts and Findlay Market Association reports. This book represents the first-known mass collection of Findlay Market images.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: