Lawrence Park was planned, developed, and built by the General Electric Company in 1910, when the company decided to build their plant near Erie, Pennsylvania. However, Lawrence Park was not to be a company town, but rather a planned community in the "English garden" concept. The tree-lined streets, flowering boulevards, and delightful parks are a testimony to those visionaries. Around 1900, the elegant Grove House Hotel was built on the banks of beautiful Lake Erie, and later a lively amusement park flourished there. The Stone House, built in 1832 and rumored to be a station in the Underground Railroad, still stands at the crossroads. The early settlers of Lawrence Park laid the foundation for a caring community that today enthusiastically embraces school and community activities.
Author Bio: Marjorie D. McLean, a retired Iroquois School District teacher and counselor, has done extensive historical research for Lawrence Park using the archives of the Lawrence Park Historical Society. The members of the society have worked diligently to preserve the history of Lawrence Park, and their archives serve as an invaluable resource.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: