East of Utah’s domed state capitol and near downtown Salt Lake City, a residential district sharply climbs the foothills of the Wasatch Range. The neighborhood is known as “The Avenues.” Settlement of the oldest portion of the area took place from the 1860s until the late 1930s. The proximity of the neighborhood to the central business district and transportation hub made it a convenient living location for middle- and upper-class citizens involved in many trades. The streets were originally named mostly after trees. Then in 1885, the north-south streets became A through V Streets, and the east-west streets became First through Fourth Avenues. This change in street names gave the area its popular title. After a long period of decline, The Avenues was declared a historic district in 1980. Today, residents strive to restore the celebrated treasures of their neighborhood.
Author Bio: Cevan LeSieur is a native of Salt Lake City and resident of The Avenues. He works aboard commercial oil tankers at sea transporting petroleum products and has been the ship’s captain for the last 10 years. LeSieur and his wife share a passion for architecture and historic preservation, which is evident from the two homes they have restored in The Avenues neighborhood.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: