Believed to have been named for the citizens who settled the area as early as the 1840s, Germantown and Schnitzelburg are located just east of downtown Louisville. The first parcels purchased and settled were part of the 1,000-acre land grant that was awarded to Col. Arthur Campbell in 1790 for his service to Virginia in the Indian Wars. Spanning more than 160 years of growth, the area developed from farms and dairies in the 1850s, to the industrialization of the 1880s, and then the halcyon era of the 1950s as a safe haven of family, community, and church. Remarkable historic landmarks include a Victorian-era cotton mill, DuPont Manual High School's football stadium, and the eclectic collection of residential architecture classified as "shotgun" and "camelback." Numerous neighborhood taverns and bakeries are both historic landmarks and popular eateries in this community. Look inside and enjoy the history and beauty of a bygone era and the development of a thriving community.
Author Bio: Author Lisa M. Pisterman researched property records; archived photograph collections, family photographs, census records, and city directories; and conducted interviews with local historians, longtime residents, and descendants of early community business owners in the Germantown/Schnitzelburg area. Images of America: Louisville's Germantown and Schnitzelburg provides a trip into the lives of these early citizens, their homes and businesses, and daily life in this community during the last century.
Find Books By Title:
Find Books By Theme:
Find Books By State: