Isle of Palms
Named for its abundance of sabal palms, this seven-mile barrier island off the South Carolina coast is a classic beach community. In 1899, Dr. Joseph S. Lawrence dubbed the island the Isle of Palms to attract more tourists. Originally called Hunting Island by the Sewee Indians, the island was frequented mostly by hunters and fisherman. By the early 1900s, Isle of Palms was a popular resort. People came to visit the grand pavilion built by the Sottile family of Charleston and ride the giant Ferris wheel. Beachgoers enjoyed this recreational haven, but the Great Depression stalled the island’s activity. Then, in 1944, Charleston attorney J.C. Long bought and developed 1,200 acres, and the island experienced renewed growth. In 1953, the island was incorporated into the City of Isle of Palms. Today, the Isle of Palms is home to more than 4,500 permanent residents and is a vacation destination for thousands of visitors each year. Images of America: Isle of Palms captures the charm of this old beach community.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738518022
: Arcadia Publishing
: 08/10/2005
: South Carolina
: Images of America
: 200
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Author Wendy Nilsen Pollitzer is a Lowcountry native. Her family made frequent trips to the Isle of Palms in the early 1960s and finally moved there in 1968. Wendy returns often to the island with her children and husband to visit her family home on 28th Avenue.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book