Port Royal
Port Royal was chartered in 1874 when the Port Royal Railroad was completed. The town built a port that attracted the largest ships from all over the world, mainly because of the natural depth of the harbor. A coaling station and dry dock built at the Port Royal Navy Yard boosted port activity, but by the end of the 1920s, the town was economically devastated. The shrimping and crabbing industries as well as the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at nearby Parris Island were the town's salvation, and in 1958, the State Ports Authority built a terminal that reactivated the port. The town experienced a redevelopment boom in the mid-1990s and is poised for another transformation. Gov. Mark Sanford signed legislation in 2004 to sell the port to developers, as agreed upon by the state and the town. After years of an idle economy, Port Royal's fiscal fate looks promising.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738543536
: Arcadia Publishing
: 11/29/2006
: South Carolina
: Images of America
: 200 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Wendy Nilsen Pollitzer resides on St. Helena Island. Her first book, Images of America: Isle of Palms, was released in August 2005. The Port Royal Historic Foundation helped her collect images for this book. Pollitzer also used the memories of longtime residents and research from the Beaufort County Library.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book