San Anselmo
San Anselmo has been a crossroads if not a center of activity from the days when the Coast Miwok inhabited the valley and fished the fresh waters of the creek. Red Hill, a town landmark, was the meeting point of three 1840s Mexican land grants. The rancho days had come to an end by 1875, when the North Pacific Coast Railroad completed its line, with its tracks branching east and west at San Anselmo. Railroad officials encouraged real estate activity, but it was not until the San Francisco Theological Seminary was completed in 1892 that the town began to grow. Incorporation followed in 1907, after refugees from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire built permanent homes. The population grew in the years following World War II, but San Anselmo has remained a small, family town.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9780738596891
: Arcadia Publishing
: 02/04/2013
: California
: Images of America
: 216 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Judy Coy, chairperson of the San Anselmo Historical Society, has selected images from the San Anselmo Historical Museum's collection and local archives to tell the story of San Anselmo's transformation from its rancho days to a modern hub of activity.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book