Old Brooklyn
Old Brooklyn was originally settled in 1814 as the hamlet of Brighton. Indian trails were the basis for what became Pearl, Broadview, and Schaaf Roads. Brighton Village, centered around what is now the intersection of Pearl and Broadview Roads, was incorporated for one year in 1838. Brighton was originally laid out on land belonging to a farmer named Warren Young. Another incorporation in 1889 renamed the village South Brooklyn, and it was then annexed by the City of Cleveland in 1905 because of its light plant. Gustave Ruetenik & Sons introduced greenhouse gardening on Schaaf Road in 1887, giving the area the title “Greenhouse Capital of the United States.” Old Brooklyn also became home to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in 1916.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467111928
: Arcadia Publishing
: 09/08/2014
: Ohio
: Images of America
: 192 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
In 1982, a group of people from the Old Brooklyn neighborhood gathered at The Glenn Restaurant to form a historical society named the Four Corners Guild. In 1986, it became the Historical Society of Old Brooklyn. Its mission is to attract people with a common interest in the history of Old Brooklyn to collect, catalogue, and display items of historical significance; provide housing, preservation, and safekeeping of said items; support and promote the cause of historic preservation; and disseminate historical information to the public.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book