Around the Town of Saratoga

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
As the American struggle for independence intensified, Saratoga became a focal point of warring activities. Both colonists and loyalists maintained forts, camps, and officer headquarters within town. In 1777, after the two Battles of Saratoga, American forces gained the surrender of BritishGen. John Burgoyne, thus turning the tide of the Revolutionary War. The name Saratoga comes from the Mohawk word meaning either "place of the swift water" or "hillside country of the great river." True to its name, the town spreads across rolling hills along the western side of the Hudson River. The river itself, together with two early main roads and a canal, brought prosperity to the area. Saratoga became a major shipping terminal. The town boundaries changed several times throughout the years, but the rural character of the town and the spirit of its residents remained constant.
Details
ISBN: 9780738502021
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New York
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Thomas N. Wood III serves as the town historian. Most of the images he has used in this book are from the historian office collection and many of them were donated by generous friends and residents. A lifelong resident of Saratoga, Wood has written the annual record of important people and events of the area since 1988. His career has been in the field of education, and he has authored articles for several educational publications.