North Brevard County

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
The early pioneer settlement of LaGrange Community in Brevard County in 1858 pre-dated the missile launches on North Merritt Island by just one hundred years. During that span of time, the northern part of Brevard County underwent significant growth and development-homes were built, land farmed, businesses established, and churches built. The citrus industry provided North Brevard with a productive agricultural economy that remained strong until the advent of the space age. With the federal government's purchase of the land north of the port of Canaveral in the 1950s, the Cape Canaveral Missile Test Center was established. Later, when more land was needed, the Kennedy Space Center was built on North Merritt Island. Many North Brevard towns, communities, and homesteads disappeared when the governmental acquisition of land forced residents to relocate, but it was this new era of technology that helped shift North Brevard from the farm age to the space age.
Details
ISBN: 9780738502410
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Florida
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Local historians and authors John Manning and Robert Hudson have compiled a wonderful array of vintage images in North Brevard County, a nostalgic visual tour of the region. Illustrating the history of Port St. Johns, Mims, Titusville, Sharps, Scottsmoor, Cape Canaveral, and North Merrit Island, as well as of communities of a bygone era such as Wilson, Sand Point, DeSota Beach, Hardeeville, and Delespine, this pictorial retrospective is sure to be a welcome addition to the bookshelves of residents and visitors alike.
More About This Book