Eloise: Poorhouse, Farm, Asylum and Hospital 1839-1984

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
Eloise, which started out as a poorhouse, later became known as Wayne County General Hospital. From only 35 residents on 280 acres in 1839, the complex grew dramatically after the Civil War until the total land involved was 902 acres and the total number of patients was about 10,000. Today, all that remains are five buildings and a smokestack. Only one of them, the Kay Beard Building, is currently used. In Eloise: Poorhouse, Farm, Asylum, and Hospital, 1839-1984, this institution and medical center that cared for thousands of people over the years, is brought back to life. The book, in over 220 historic photographs, follows the facility's roots, from its beginnings as a poorhouse, to the founding of its psychiatric division and general hospital. The reader will also be able to trace the changing face of psychiatric care over the years. The book effectively captures what it was like to live, work, and play on Eloise's expansive grounds.
Details
ISBN: 9780738519548
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Michigan
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The author, Patricia Ibbotson, is a nurse, who worked at Eloise for over 23 years. She currently sits on the board of the Friends of Eloise, and she has been the editor of the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research Magazine for seven years.
Reviews