Platteville

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Called the "Mound City" for its proximity to the Platte Mound, Platteville has played an important role in Southwest Wisconsin for over 175 years. Throughout the 1830s and 1840s, Platteville was a significant mining center in the Lead Region, mining, smelting, and shipping lead ore to market. The Platteville Academy was established in 1839 and was later replaced by the state's first Normal School, which opened its doors in 1866. Forty-two years later, in 1908, the Wisconsin Mining Trade School was established. Those two schools merged in 1959 and in 1971 became the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
Details
ISBN: 9780738533179
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Wisconsin
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
James B. Hibbard is an archivist at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. In addition to working with historic manuscripts in the University's archives, the Southwest Wisconsin Room, Mr. Hibbard is active in the Grant County Historical Society, serves on a committee at the Rollo Jamison Museum, and works with the genealogical/local history societies of the area.
More About This Book