Conneaut Lake Park

  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
In 1877, a humble boat landing was constucted on Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania's largest natural lake. Colonel Frank Mantor, a visionary, discovered and purchased the property and convinced investors from the Pittsburgh, Shenango, and Lake Erie Railroad to extend the railroad line to a newly built resort on the site. In 1892, Exposition Park—a permanent fair exhibiting machinery and livestock—was founded. Amusement rides wereadded alongside hotels, cottages, restaurants, and other businesses. The resort grew into an amusement park and was renamed Conneaut Lake Park in 1920. Conneaut Lake Park illustrates the evolution of this lakeside resort with images of long-gone attractions such as the Hotel Elmwood, Temple of Music, Jungle Cruise, Fairyland Forest, and Wild Mouse. Recent favorites such as the Blue Streak, Tumble Bug, Ultimate Trip, and Devil's Den are also included.
ISBN: 9780738537795
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
State: Pennsylvania
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Michael E. Costello, a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, has been visiting Conneaut Lake Park since the mid-1980s. He co-produced a documentary about the park in 2001 and has worked as a ride operator. In 2002, he took a turn as the park mascot, Connie Otter. Costello maintains a Web site called Mike's Historic Amusement Parks and designs the Conneaut Lake Park map.
More About This Book