Maritime Grand Haven: Coast Guard City USA

$21.99
Usually ships within 1 week.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Settlers arrived at the mouth of the Grand River on November 2, 1834. Their community was christened Grand Haven, as it offered a secure harbor. As the logging industry grew, shipping expanded, and Grand Haven Harbor became especially busy during the financial boom and westward expansion that followed the Civil War. Northwest Ottawa County became an established resort destination, and passenger boats frequented the harbor as well. Heavy traffic through Grand Haven caused concern about shipwrecks. The first crew of lifesavers was formed in 1871 and soon joined the United States Lifesaving Service. In 1915, the United States Lifesaving Service merged with the United States Coast Guard. Grand Haven has long had a proud association with these dedicated crews, and in 1998, the relationship was marked when Congress designated it "Coast Guard City USA."
Details
ISBN: 9780738539843
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Michigan
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Maritime Grand Haven is the third book Wallace K. Ewing, Ph.D., and David H. Seibold, D.D.S., have authored for Arcadia Publishing, following The Grand Haven Area: 1860–1960 and The Grand Haven Area in Vintage Postcards: 1905–1975. Authors Ewing and Seibold are both longtime volunteers and former board members for the Tri-Cities Historical Museum.