Wilkinsburg

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Wilkinsburg, named for Gen. John Wilkins Jr., was incorporated as a borough in 1887. The village was founded on a 266-acre parcel purchased in 1789 by Col. Dunning McNair, who also laid the central street plan. After McNair's death in 1825, the village was purchased by James Kelly. Caring deeply about the social life of the community, Kelly donated the land for most of the schools, churches, and residences for the elderly. When Wilkinsburg was annexed by Pittsburgh in the early 1870s, Kelly financed the legal battle to have the decision reversed. Through historic photographs from the Wilkinsburg Historical Society and private collections, Wilkinsburg illustrates the development of one of the most historic communities in the region.
Details
ISBN: 9780738549170
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Pennsylvania
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The Wilkinsburg Historical Society was founded in 1934 as the Group for Historical Research on Wilkinsburg Village and Environs 1788–1887. The purpose of the society today is to promote interest in the history and landmarks of the borough of Wilkinsburg and to collect, preserve, and publish historical data and documents.
More About This Book