Oglethorpe University

$19.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
Oglethorpe University, located in Atlanta, Georgia, was chartered in 1835 and began as a Presbyterian institution in the town of Midway, making it one of the earliest denominational institutions below the Virginia line. The university was named for James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony of Georgia. After closing in 1862 because of the Civil War, theschool reopened for a short time in the early 1870s. Oglethorpe was rechartered in 1913, and in 1916, classes began at the university's present location on Peachtree Road. Throughout its history, the university has garnered national and international attention through its famous alumni, such as poet Sidney Lanier; by conferring honorary degrees on prominent societal leaders, including Franklin D. Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson; and because of its beautiful campus and historic buildings. Since itsrefounding in Atlanta, Oglethorpe University has earned a reputation for offering students a strong liberal arts education, preparing graduates to "make a life, make a living, and make a difference."
Details
ISBN: 9780738552538
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Georgia
Series: Campus History
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
This volume utilizes images from the Oglethorpe University Archives to document the extraordinary history of Oglethorpe's faculty, campus, and most importantly, its students. Anne A. Salter is director of the Philip Weltner Library, and Laura Masce is the university archivist.
Reviews