Pico Rivera

$19.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
The early history of the city of Pico Rivera began in 1887 when two land developers, J. Fletcher Isbell and W. T. Bone, bought the Rivera town site from Joseph Hartley Burke, Louis L. Bequette, and A. A. Bermudez. Rivera literally means "along the river," and today's city boundaries are the Rio Hondo on the west and the San Gabriel River on the east. Rivera developed when the Santa Fe Railroad came through the southern portion of present-day Pico Rivera. The township of Pico was subdivided into lots beginning in 1921. Its name derived from the last Mexican governor of California, Don Pio de Jesus Pico, who built his country home, El Ranchito, along the San Gabriel River. Over the years the two communities grew close, eventually incorporating as one in 1958. The year 2008 marks Pico Rivera's 50th anniversary. This volume documents Pico Rivera from its agricultural past, through its transformation, and into modern suburbia.
Details
ISBN: 9780738555997
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: California
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The Pico Rivera History and Heritage Society formed in 1971 when many residents felt the desire to have a facility for the preservation and documentation of the city's colorful history. These longtime residents selected the best vintage images from the society's archives for this provocative tour through Pico Rivera's storied past.
More About This Book