Bellaire

$13.19
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Typically a village begins when individuals and families decide to settle in a place, build homes, stores, and other buildings for their common good, and decide on a name for the settlement. Bellaire's story progressed in a different fashion: a building for the common good was required and a plat of vacant land was selected. Settlers came afterward. In 1879, Antrim County supervisors, meeting in a temporary courthouse in Elk Rapids, decided that inland population growth and difficulty in travel necessitated placement of the county seat in a more central location. They chose land in Kearney Township owned by Ambrose Palmer, and on June 24, 1879, Bellaire became the county seat. By 1900, businesses and families filled the village, farms and lumber operations surrounded it, and the population boomed.
Details
ISBN: 9780738560359
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Michigan
Series: Images of America
Images: 188
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Betty Wilson Wallays Hoover, president of the Bellaire Area Historical Society, returned to Bellaire after 20 years as a librarian for Ford and Earl Associates in Troy. Marion Hill, longtime resident of Bellaire and longtime member of the literary guild, serves on the Bellaire Area Historical Museum board. Beverly Johnson, a genealogy expert, also serves on the board. Marjorie Fleet, a retired editor for the Antrim County News, serves on the museum advisory board.
More About This Book