Swedesboro and Woolwich Township

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In the mid-1600s, a group of Swedes from Delaware and Pennsylvania sailed up the Raccoon Creek and began a settlement on prime farmland in southern New Jersey. Initially known as Raccoon, the town at the center of Woolwich Township was renamed Swedesborough in 1765. Transportation links to Swedesboro by creek, highway, and railroad made the town an attractive location for mills, shops, and farms. Today many residents are descended from the area's original Swedish settlers. Swedesboro and Woolwich Township presents a diverse collection of photographs from the 1800s to the 1970s, illustrating daily life for residents of the community.
Details
ISBN: 9780738563343
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New Jersey
Series: Images of America
Images: 218
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Lois M. Stanley is the chairperson of the Swedesboro Historical Preservation Commission. She lives in an 1892 Victorian home on Kings Highway bought by her grandparents in 1928. Russell C. Shiveler Jr. is an author of several historical publications and a descendant of one of the many farming families in the Swedesboro area. Both authors are members of the Swedesboro-Woolwich Historical Society and the Gloucester County Historical Society. They have collected images from the archives of the historical societies, as well as from private collections.