Oxford and Ole Miss

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Learn the story behind how the town of Oxford, Mississippi, and The University of Mississippi came to be. Oxford and Lafayette County were formed from the Pontotoc Treaty and the Chickasaw Cession of 1832 and the revised agreement in 1834. This treaty with the Chickasaws ceded land that formed 12 counties in North Mississippi. On June 22, 1836, three land speculators, John Martin, John Chisom, and John Craig, donated 50 acres to the Board of Police for the formation of the city of Oxford. The name Oxford was proposed by a nephew of John Craig, Thomas D. Isom, who worked for him in his trading post, in hopes that the state legislature would place the new state university there. Oxford was chartered by the State of Mississippi on May 11, 1837. The University of Mississippi opened its doors in 1848.
Details
ISBN: 9780738566146
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Mississippi
Series: Images of America
Images: 188
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Jack Lamar Mayfield writes a weekly column on Oxford and Ole Miss history for the Oxford Eagle, a local daily newspaper. As a member of the Oxford–Lafayette County Heritage Foundation, Jack worked with the late Patricia Brown Young, a former president and board member, to compile images for this book on the foundation's behalf. These photographs present the 1800s through the early part of the 20th century.