Warsaw

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Warsaw, located in Richmond County, is often called the heart of the Northern Neck. Lying between the Potomac River and the Rappahannock River, the Northern Neck was discovered by Capt. John Smith, who called the area "fruitfull and delightsome." George Washington later referred to the same region as the "garden of Virginia." The town of Warsaw, originally called Richmond Court House, was established in its present location around 1692. In 1831, the town petitioned to change its name to Warsaw after Warsaw, Poland. While Poles struggled against the partitioning of their country, sympathy for their plight was great and spread from Europe to the new world. Within the immediate area of Warsaw are two colonial homes that are still occupied by descendents of the original owners. Today Warsaw has a population of approximately 1,400. The Northern Neck and Richmond County are still sparsely populated and predominately agrarian.
Details
ISBN: 9780738567761
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Virginia
Series: Images of America
Images: 188
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Francene Barber, who is the former director of the Richmond County Museum, and current curator David Jett have assembled many pictures relating to Warsaw and its immediate surroundings in Richmond County. Their endeavors have given readers a vivid pictorial history of the town. Brenda Harhai assisted the museum staff with the placement of pictures and the subsequent captions.
More About This Book