• Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Weed acquired its intriguing name from its founder, Abner Weed, who began purchasing land for a mill site in the 1890s. By 1905, Weed boasted two mills, a box factory, bunkhouse, boardinghouse, cookhouse, company store, post office, and hospital. Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Thomas and Georgeanna "Anna" (Sullaway) Sullivan bought land for a ranch in 1898. When they divided some of their land into lots, Shastina was born, with the first building constructed in 1905–1906. Division Street divided the town in two, with the company town to the north and the once-rowdy town of Shastina to the south, known for its saloon-lined streets, brothels, and private businesses that allowed residents a shopping choice despite company policies.
ISBN: 9780738569321
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
State: California
Series: Images of America
Images: 211
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
The board of directors of the Weed Historic Lumber Town Museum has selected historic photographs from its collection, along with images from the College of the Siskiyous Library Mount Shasta Collection and other donations, to lead the reader on a tour of Weed and its surroundings during the heyday of logging. From logging in the field and early mills to the daily life of loggers, millworkers, and residents of Weed, Shastina, and Tennant, the main logging camp associated with Weed, the photographs in this collection vividly depict this exciting time.
More About This Book