Lost Villages of Flagstaff Lake

$13.19
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Permanent settlers began arriving at the village of Flagstaff around the 1820s, drawn by its advantageous location along the Dead River floodplain and the availability of waterpower at the outlet to Flagstaff Pond. In 1923, the Maine legislature passed a bill condemning a 25-mile section of the upper Dead River Valley to inundation, causing the eventual permanent flooding of the villages of Flagstaff, Dead River, and Bigelow. The bill authorized the construction of a dam at the river narrows at Long Falls and the subsequent creation of Flagstaff Lake. The properties in these towns were obtained by the process of eminent domain, and residents were forced to relocate. In the spring of 1950, Flagstaff Lake was officially created when the gates in Long Falls Dam were closed. It remains a controversial project today.
Details
ISBN: 9780738573205
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Maine
Series: Images of America
Images: 227
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Alan L. Burnell has been coming to the area for over 40 years to hunt, fish, and recreate, and he and his wife now permanently reside in Eustis. Kenny R. Wing of Eustis is the first generation of his family not born or raised in Flagstaff Village and has resided and worked in the Dead River Valley his entire life.
More About This Book