Champion, Great Bend, and Deferiet

$13.19
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Champion, Great Bend, and Deferiet were all founded in the 1800s. Farming has always been the lifeblood of Champion; Noadiah Hubbard—original settler, land agent, merchant, and builder—did much to encourage its settlement and growth. Great Bend's location on the Black River drew various mills looking to utilize inexpensive waterpower. Such corporations included the Sherman Paper Company and the Great Bend Paper Company, which was incorporated in September 1868 to manufacture straw wrapping papers and strawboard. F.W. Woolworth, of five-and-dime fame, endowed a church here in honor of his parents on September 15, 1915. Deferiet was originally founded by French émigré Jenika de Ferriet. It became a mill town in 1899 when the land was acquired by the St. Regis Paper Company, which employed immigrants of Italian and Polish extraction. As the mills gradually left the Northeast, these communities reverted to their farming roots, in many cases attracting families for settlement and retirement.
Details
ISBN: 9780738576749
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New York
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Town of Champion historian Lynn M. Thornton and Village of Deferiet historian Janet M. Zando worked together, gathering materials from a number of community sources, including the Jefferson County Historical Society, town and village archives, and numerous private individuals.
More About This Book