Lakeport

$15.39
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Originally, the neighborhood now known as Lakeport was partof Meredith on one side of the Winnipesaukee River and ofGilmanton (Gilford after 1812) on the other. This manufacturing,commercial, and port settlement—once called Lake Village—becamepart of the city in Laconia in 1893. The area around today's LakeportDam became the site of sawmills and gristmills for the Euro-Americansettlers of the late 1760s. By the mid-1800s, textile and hosiery mills,factories, foundries, and machine shops had grown up around theabundant waterpower of the dam.With the coming of the railroad in 1848, Lake Village becamean important railroad town—with repair shops, a roadhouse, andhomes for scores of railroad workers. Beginning in the mid-1800s, boatbuilding—especially of lake steamers—was also an important industry.Just before joining with the town of Laconia, Lake Village renameditself Lakeport. By then, the two communities had expanded towardeach other, forming one continuous urban neighborhood.
Details
ISBN: 9780738590462
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New Hampshire
Series: Images of America
Images: 200
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Warren D. Huse, the author of Laconia and The Weirs, also compiles a weekly historical column for The Citizen of Laconia. He has gathered images from the archives of the Laconia Public Library, the Laconia Historical Society, the Laconia Museum Society, Inc., and private collections to create a volume that will earn a lasting place on the bookshelves of area homes as well as in the hearts of residents and visitors, young and old alike.