John Carroll University

  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
In September 1886, St. Ignatius College opened in a working-class neighborhood on Cleveland's Near West Side. The one classroom building was unpretentious, its mostly Irish and German students were few, its Jesuit faculty numbered four, and its opening was ignored by Cleveland's daily newspapers. Over the next 125 years, the small college became John Carroll University, moved to University Heights, built handsome buildings on a landscaped campus, gained students and faculty, and achieved national recognition. This is the story of how that happened.
ISBN: 9780738590745
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
State: Ohio
Series: Campus History
Images: 192
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Marian J. Morton is emeritus professor of history at John Carroll University. This is her sixth book for Arcadia Publishing. The images in this book are from the John Carroll Archives, including material from Integrated Marketing and Communications, the Center for Service and Social Action, and the Campus Ministry; the St. Ignatius High School Archives; the Cleveland Ursuline Archives; and Cleveland State University's Special Collections.
More About This Book