Fort Dodge

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
In November 1850, at the juncture of the Des Moines River and the Lizard River, the US Territorial Army established a post named Fort Clarke. The following year, it was renamed Fort Dodge in honor of US senator Henry Dodge of Wisconsin. After the troops were disbanded in 1854, Maj. William Williams purchased the existing buildings and infrastructure from the US government and platted the city. Over the course of the 19th century, Fort Dodge developed into a booming city known as the leading industrial and cultural center of northern Iowa. The images in this book illustrate the world of 19th and 20th century Fort Dodge, presenting the strange and astonishing beauty of a bygone era and the incredible progress we have inherited.
Details
ISBN: 9780738591919
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Iowa
Series: Postcard History Series
Images: 182
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Written by mother and daughter, Pamela and Megan Bygness, this book includes many rare real-photo postcards from Pamela's private collection and from other members of the Fort Dodge collecting community. Pamela serves on the board of directors of the Fort Historical Museum, and Megan's love for local history was encouraged by her parents' passion for local history and antiques. Both women were born and raised in Fort Dodge.
More About This Book