F.E. Warren Air Force Base

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
F.E. Warren Air Force Base was originally established in 1867 as Fort D.A. Russell Army Post to protect the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad. Infantry, cavalry, and artillery have all been stationed at the post. In 1930, after the death of Francis E. Warren, the post was renamed Fort F.E. Warren. The base has been continuously active and has never closed, even during the transfer from Army to Air Force in 1947. The post was the site of the Quartermaster School in the 1940s and became the Air Force Replacement Training Center in the 1950s. Presently, the installation is, once again, protecting the United States through deterrence with 150 Minuteman III ICBMs.
Details
ISBN: 9780738592251
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Wyoming
Series: Images of America
Images: 231
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Paula Bauman Taylor is a fifth-generation ranch daughter raised in Wyoming and Colorado. Her family's ranch supplied horses and cattle to Fort D.A. Russell under contract as early as 1880s. She received her master's degree in history from the University of Wyoming. Since 1991, she has been the director of the Warren ICBM and Heritage Museum located at F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. Photographs were compiled from F.E. Warren Air Force Base and the Wyoming State Archives.
Reviews