Around Tilton

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
In 1869, the town of Tilton, previously known as Sanbornton Bridge or Bridge Village, came into its own when it separated from Sanbornton. Its foremost benefactor, Charles Elliott Tilton, requested the town be named in honor of his ancestors, who were early settlers of the area. Charles added a touch of aristocracy to the town's character, decorating the streets with European statues and elegant buildings. Tilton's wealth was created by factories along the Winnipesaukee River as well as by large agricultural and dairy farms north of the river. A tourist industry that was centered around Lake Winnisquam began in the eastern hamlets of Lochmere and Winnisquam. Today, Interstate 93 passes through Tilton, which is now a gateway to the vacation lands of the White Mountains and Lake Winnipesaukee.
Details
ISBN: 9780738592374
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New Hampshire
Series: Images of America
Images: 211
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Bonnie Randall, Carol Stone, and Dennis Evans reside in Tilton. Bonnie Randall is a professional academic librarian. Carol Stone, semiretired from a career in financial management, is a research enthusiast. Dennis Evans has been a New Hampshire landscape photographer for over 20 years. Images in Around Tilton were provided by community members, local institutions, and the authors' collections.
More About This Book