Madras

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
The area where Madras now stands was originally known as "The Basin." Sheep and cattle operators first utilized the site, where Willow Creek also flows, as a grazing zone. The Basin area was eventually settled by homesteaders in the late 1880s, and the location of present-day Madras is situated on the land of four early farmhouses. Madras was incorporated on March 2, 1910, and became a commercial center with the arrival of railroads in 1911, earning the nickname "Gateway to Central Oregon." With the arrival of irrigation water from the Deschutes River by means of the North Unit Project in 1946, intensive farming began in the surrounding areas, kicking off a new era in Madras.
Details
ISBN: 9780738593258
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Oregon
Series: Images of America
Images: 235
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Author Steve Lent is the assistant director and historian at the Bowman Museum, located in Prineville. A lifetime resident of central Oregon, he has been associated with the Crook County Historical Society for many years and has written extensively on local history, receiving a commendation award in 2001 from the American Association for State and Local History for his accomplishments. These historical vintage photographs are from the archives of the Bowman Museum and the Jefferson County Historical Society.
Reviews