Elgin

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Elgin is located in northern Bastrop County and recognized as the "Sausage Capital of Texas" and "Brick Capital of the Southwest." Beginning as a watering stop for the Houston & Texas Central (H&TC) Railroad Company, the town was named for Robert Morriss Elgin, an official in the railway company. The town was incorporated on May 31, 1873. Swedish, German, and Czech emigrants soon turned it into some of the best farming land in the state. With the growth of cotton farming, coal-mine work, and a local brick-making business, more jobs were becoming available. An influx of Mexican and African American citizens came to the area looking for work and often kept the languages, religion, and customs of their homelands. William Moon began making hot sausage in 1882. The business continues as Elgin "Hot Guts," and its sausages are shipped all over the United States. The proximity to the state capital, the agricultural influence, the natural resources, and the availability of technology substantiate the current city motto of "Perfectly Situated."
Details
ISBN: 9780738595191
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Texas
Series: Images of America
Images: 211
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The authors, Sydna Davis Arbuckle and Judy Davis, have drawn from research and the extensive photographic archives of the Elgin Depot Museum to narrate this visual historical voyage.
More About This Book