Fort Mott

$21.99
Usually ships within 1 week.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Located on the banks of the Delaware River, Fort Mott was once part of a three-fort system that protected the ports and industry of New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. When completed in 1896, Fort Mott was one of the most technologically advanced fortifications of the period. Originally called the Battery at Finns Point, in 1897 it was renamed in honor of Maj. Gen. Gershom Mott, a New Jersey native who commanded with distinction during the Civil War and later served as state treasurer and commander of New Jersey's National Guard. When fully garrisoned with troops, the Army post was its own little town, complete with a hospital, bakery, stores, and sport fields. Coast Artillery Corps soldiers manned the fort until 1944, when the Army decided to abandon the site. In 1947, the state purchased the property, and in 1951, Fort Mott State Park opened to the public. Today, many of the buildings and fortifications are open for tours, and ongoing preservation and rehabilitation efforts are preserving the site for future generations.
Details
ISBN: 9780738597867
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New Jersey
Series: Images of America
Images: 206
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Andres G. Grant is the historian at Fort Mott State Park. The images and diagrams in this book have been sourced from the Fort Mott State Park collection, private collections, and the National Archives.