St. Louis's Delmar Loop

$10.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In 1902, magazine publisher Edward Gardner Lewis needed greater space for his thriving business, then based in downtown St. Louis. He headed west, out Delmar Boulevard a mile past the city line, and bought five acres of open land adjacent to the loop in the trolley tracks that sent the 10D streetcar back downtown. By 1903, Lewis was building a complex that included the Woman's Magazine Building, a five-story octagonal tower with an eight-ton searchlight in its dome. In 1906, University City was incorporated, and Lewis became its first mayor, serving three terms. In 1913, Lewis went west again, this time to found the utopian colony of Atascadero, California. His octagonal dazzler is now University City's City Hall. In 2007, in its first such list, the American Planning Association named the Delmar Loop one of the country's "Great Streets"—it's a long story.
Details
ISBN: 9780738598789
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Missouri
Series: Images of America
Images: 184
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
M.M. Costantin is the author of two novels and a book of essays. She has lived in the Delmar Loop since 1972. Images for this book were provided by the Historical Society of University City, the University City Public Library, and the Missouri Historical Society.