Legendary Locals of Jamestown

$17.59
Backordered – Usually ships within 3 weeks
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
When Caleb Carr, one of the 101 men who purchased Conanicut and Dutch Islands in 1657, petitioned the General Assembly to incorporate Jamestown in 1678, the town had 150 inhabitants. The community thrived until the American Revolution, when the British occupation drove away many people. Nicholas Carr and John Eldred both remained, rebelling in their own ways. The town recovered slowly, and its character changed with modernized modes of transportation. Steam ferries, introduced in 1873, ushered in an era of resort hotels, affluent summer visitors, and a service economy. The West Passage bridge in 1940 brought permanent residents with off-island occupations and interests. The East Passage bridge (1969) and the replacement West Passage bridge (1992) created a suburban atmosphere enlivened by a continuing influx of summer vacationers. Most newcomers revel in the island's beauty and are intent on keeping Jamestown the peaceful haven that attracted them.
Details
ISBN: 9781467101301
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Rhode Island
Series: Legendary Locals
Images: 194
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Rosemary Enright and Sue Maden, coauthors of Jamestown: A History of Narragansett Bay's Island Town, delved into the Jamestown Historical Society's archives and extensive photograph collection for much of the information about Jamestown's legends. Members of the community also generously opened their scrapbooks and photograph albums. Delia Klingbeil's photographs capture our living legends.
Reviews