Huntington Harbor Lighthouse

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
In the early days, Huntington, New York, was known as part of the Gold Coast of Long Island. It was a busy area boasting summer hotels and docking facilities. Steamboats brought crowds to Huntington from New York City for outdoor fun. Mariners took advantage of landmarks to guide their craft into channels until 1857, when the Lloyd Harbor Light Station was built on a sandspit to guard the entrance of both Lloyd and Huntington Harbors. In 1907, the US Congress appropriated $40,000 for the construction of a new lighthouse to replace the Lloyd Harbor Light Station, which proved to be ineffective for the navigation of vessels entering Huntington Harbor. The Venetian Renaissance–style structure was completed in 1912 and had the distinctive appearance of a small castle. Thanks to the enormous efforts of the Huntington Lighthouse Preservation Society, Inc., the beauty and uniqueness of the Huntington Harbor Lighthouse has been preserved.
Details
ISBN: 9781467104746
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New York
Series: Images of America
Images: 222
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Antonia S. Mattheou is the archivist of the Town of Huntington. She also works as an instructor for the New York State Education Department, New York State Archives; a grant reviewer for the New York State Archives; and a consulting archivist for various organizations on Long Island. Nancy Y. Moran, RN, MS, has resided in Huntington for over 20 years. As an avid boater, wife, and mother of fishing enthusiasts, her appreciation of excursions past the lighthouse in Huntington Harbor served as inspiration to participate in writing about its historical inception and renovation.