The Kennebunks in Vintage Postcards

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
The town of Kennebunk split from the neighboring town of Wells on June 24, 1820, just three months after Maine became a state. Kennebunk’s proximity to three large bodies of water—the Kennebunk River, the Mousam River, and the Atlantic Ocean—fueled its development over thousands of years. Kennebunk’s waterways were home to Wabanaki hunters, settlement farmers, early lumber mills, and a booming shipbuilding business. The Maine coast soon brought tourists to Kennebunk and its beaches. By the 1930s, Kennebunk Beach and its surrounding area contained several hotels and beach cottages. Sites like the Wedding Cake House, Kennebunk Beach, Main Street, and Blowing Cave quickly reached new heights as well-known landmarks. Postcards played a part in fueling the powerhouse tourist industry that remains active to this day.
Details
ISBN: 9781467105415
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Maine
Series: Postcard History Series
Images: 183
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
The Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk holds thousands of years of local history. Its postcard collection takes viewers on a visual journey through the last 125 years of the town’s evolution from a small shipbuilding town to a tourist mecca on the coast of Maine.