St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church was founded in 1871, when Adm. Andrew Harwood decided to retire in Marion, Massachusetts, and fulfill a promise that he had made to the archangel Gabriel after surviving a fierce storm at sea. Initially a church for Marion’s summer residents, it became a year-round church in 1896. In 1899, the national press corps lined up outside the church to glimpse the wedding of the country’s most famous journalist, Richard Harding Davis, to artist Cecil Clark. Beginning in 1913, the chapel was enhanced with 11 stained-glass windows designed for the church by Charles J. Connick, the most famous American stained-glass artist of the 20th century. The church was later expanded after the acquisition of adjacent land and the construction of a parish hall, church school buildings, and a new sanctuary. In the 1950s, the church began having full-time rectors. Today, the church has 300 family members on its rolls and will celebrate 150 years in 2021.
Details
ISBN: 9781467106511
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Massachusetts
Series: Images of America
Images: 206
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Judith Westlund Rosbe, a local author, historian, and past president and treasurer of the Sippican Historical Society, has been a resident of Marion since 1977. She is the parish historian of St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church and has been a member of the board of directors of the Sippican Historical Society since 1978. This is her sixth local history book about Marion.
More About This Book