West Baton Rouge Parish

$23.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
West Baton Rouge Parish was established in 1807 along the banks of the Mississippi River across from what would become Louisiana’s capital. Its connection to the river has long been an attraction for the people who live here and the pioneers who first settled the area more than 200 years ago. Today, the parish has three incorporated towns—Addis, Brusly, and Port Allen. Because of the rich alluvial soil deposited by the Mississippi River, West Baton Rouge largely became an agricultural community; sugar has always been it biggest crop. In the early 20th century, the Texas & Pacific Railroad made the community a bustling hub. Over the years, West Baton Rouge’s position along the river attracted petrochemical companies like Dow, ShinTech, and Placid Refining Company. Now, the parish has one of the largest deepwater ports and a thriving major chemical and manufacturing industry.
Details
ISBN: 9781467107464
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Louisiana
Series: Images of America
Images: 167
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
With images from its collection, the West Baton Rouge Historical Association gives a 150-year synopsis of the parish, unveiling scenes of the area’s development, growth, and way of life in this small-town community.
More About This Book