Madeira Beach

$21.99
Usually ships within 1 week.
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
Long before condominiums appeared on the Florida coastline, itinerant fishing parties visited the barrier islands along the Pinellas peninsula. Fewer than 200 people lived in present-day Pinellas County in September 1848, when a destructive hurricane carved Johns Pass. Developers first focused their efforts along the inlet with a settlement known as Mitchell Beach in the early 1910s, but it had only limited success since no bridges connected the island to the mainland. The first bridge opened along Welch Causeway in 1926, and electricity came to the island a few years later. Small, scattered settlements took shape along Johns Pass and near 150th Avenue before World War II, but widespread development did not begin until the incorporation of Madeira Beach in 1947. By the 1950s, subdivisions sprouted up along islands dredged from Boca Ciega Bay. Today, condominiums have replaced most beach cottages.
Details
ISBN: 9781467110396
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Florida
Series: Images of America
Images: 211
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
A native and lifelong resident of Pinellas County, James Anthony Schnur grew up in Redington Beach and has witnessed the changes along Madeira Beach's shoreline firsthand since the mid-1960s. A former president of the Pinellas County Historical Society, Schnur served as that organization's historian for the 2012 Pinellas County Centennial and has taught college courses in history since 1996.