Central College

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
The area of Amalthea, better known as Central College, was platted by Timothy Lee in 1816. Situated three miles southeast of Westerville, Central College was built along Big Walnut Creek. A college known as the Blendon Institute was formed in 1832. In 1842, the institute was given to the Presbyterian church to form the Central College of Ohio. However, due to financial struggles, the school—later known as Central College Academy—closed in 1894. The Ohio School for the Deaf Alumni Association purchased the defunct school property and created the Ohio Home for the Aged and Infirm Deaf; it was the first home of its kind in the state. The village of Central College filled with excitement when the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad was slated to pass through town in 1873. However, the railroad announced that it would instead pass through Westerville, and because of the lack of public transportation through Central College, the town failed to grow.
Details
ISBN: 9781467110594
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Ohio
Series: Images of America
Images: 210
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Marilyn J. Gale served as president of the Westerville Historical Society for 16 years and has also been a member of the Central College Presbyterian Church for 40 years. Nathaniel R. Baker is the current historian for the Village of Amalthea and has been a member of the Central College Presbyterian Church for 22 years.
More About This Book