Belding

$17.59
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • Reviews
Overview
Belding is located in the northwest corner of Ionia County along the Flat River. The land was first settled by Charles Broas in 1837 and became known as Broas Rapids. The name was later changed to Patterson Mills, and in 1871 the small village was renamed Belding in honor of the Belding family. The Belding brothers manufactured silk and brought much activity to the community. Between 1885 and 1917, the Beldings operated four silk mills, two dormitories, Hotel Belding, a hospital, an opera house, a library, and many more downtown businesses. The silk mills alone employed more people than all other area factories combined. With the brothers controlling 90 percent of the American silk market, Belding became known as "Silk Capital of the World."
Details
ISBN: 9781467112048
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Michigan
Series: Images of America
Images: 186
Pages: 120
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Cindy M. Hughes is a lifelong resident of Belding. Her family first settled in the area in 1849. Johnson Road was named for her great-great-grandparents. At ages 17 and 19, respectively, her grandmother and great-aunt came from Denmark to work in the Belding silk mills. Most images in this book are from the collection of the Alvah N. Belding Library.
Reviews