West Columbus
Or buy the eBook from one of these retailers
Present-day West Columbus is a collective of neighborhoods born from the western banks of the Scioto River in what became Franklin County on April 30, 1803. The first settlement, Franklinton, was founded by Lucas Sullivant in 1797, platted two years after he received 6,000 acres in payment for surveying the central Ohio portion of the Virginia Military District. Later expansions included the areas of Sullivant's Hill, Rome, and Camp Chase. While the first settlers were farmers and ex-soldiers, the land would also attract Quakers, rail men, real estate moguls, and manufacturers. The neighborhoods found success even though the Scioto River, which birthed the region, on multiple occasions threatened to wash them off the map during three great floods. Characterized by a hardworking and driven population, the community attracted major investments by the mid-1900s, including the expanded operations of the General Motors Fisher Body Plant.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467114639
: Arcadia Publishing
: 09/28/2015
: Ohio
: Images of America
: 184 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Sean V. Lehosit is a freelance journalist who grew up on “the Hilltop” and a graduate of The Ohio State University. He has combed through the extensive historical records and photographs of the Columbus Metropolitan Library, Grandview Heights Public Library, and the nostalgic artifacts from residents to best capture the early lives of the region's pocket neighborhoods.
Customer Reviews
More about this book