West Whiteland Township

$13.19
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
Located in Chester County, Pennsylvania, West Whiteland Township was established in 1765 when Whiteland Township divided into "East" and "West." Readers can glimpse into the past at establishments such as The Guernsey Cow restaurant, Strawbridge & Clothier, and the Valley Creek Coffee House. A chapter on Richard Downing provides firsthand accounts by quoting personal letters of his life in West Whiteland in the 1850s. There are beautiful photographs from the time when riders chased foxes as members of the Whiteland Hunt. The township began to change after the invention of the automobile; for over 100 years, the area had primarily been a farming community, until businesses began to spring up along Lincoln Highway and Pottstown Pike. With rapid development in the late 1970s and 1980s, many historic buildings were saved through the preservation efforts of the West Whiteland Historical Commission.
Details
ISBN: 9781467122917
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Pennsylvania
Series: Images of America
Images: 191
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Janice Wible Earley has served on the West Whiteland Township's Historical Commission for over 15 years. The images in this book were provided by the West Whiteland Township and by generous township residents, both past and present.
More About This Book