Dannemora

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
  • More About This Book
Overview
The discovery of iron ore near Chateaugay Lake in 1831 started the settlement later known as the town of Dannemora. In 1832, several local businessmen entered into partnership to mine the ore. St. John B.L. Skinner, a lawyer in Plattsburgh, owned most of the land and named it Dannemora. Dannemora's history is intertwined with iron ore and the development of the prison. The town is located in Clinton County in the foothills of Dannemora Mountain and is within the Blue Line, which marks the border of Adirondack Park. The prison is built on the side of the mountain, and a building to its right, which was the State Hospital for Insane Convicts, is now called the Annex. Surrounding Dannemora are Lyon Mountain, Chazy Lake, and Upper Chateaugay Lake.
Details
ISBN: 9781467123099
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: New York
Series: Images of America
Images: 226
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Rod Bigelow, as historian for the Town of Dannemora, has managed a number of websites that cover the history of the area. His father and grandfather were guards of the prison and the hospital. Walter “Pete” Light is historian for the Village of Dannemora and runs a museum in the village office building. He also developed and maintained the Clinton Prison Museum with Terrance Gilroy, the previous historian. Pete was a correctional officer in the prison for many years.
More About This Book