Lampasas County
Native American tales of the medicinal sulfur springs found in what is now Lampasas County drew settlers and, later, tourists who sought cures for various ailments throughout the 19th century. The region soon became known as the “Saratoga of the South,” and when the first passenger train arrived in Lampasas in 1882, it opened a new market for the local waters. Entrepreneurial citizens capitalized on the springs, building bathhouses, opera houses, and other amenities. In 1884, the Lampasas County Courthouse was built—the third-oldest Texas courthouse still in use today. Vestiges of Lampasas's heyday are found in Hanna Springs and Hancock Park, which remains a thriving recreational area with a free-flow sulfur pool and an 18-hole golf course. Public murals, a sculpture garden, historic sites, and a proud engaged community draw people to Lampasas County today.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467126977
: Arcadia Publishing
: 11/06/2017
: Texas
: Postcard History Series
: 203 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
The Lampasas County Museum Foundation, Inc., operates the nonprofit Lampasas County Museum, formerly known as the Keystone Square Museum. Founded in 1976, the museum exhibits artifacts related to the history of Lampasas County, including its geography, its culture, and its people.
Customer Reviews
More about this book