As part of the third system of fortifications built for harbor defense, Fort Clinch was constructed from 1847 to 1867. Serving in three wars, the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War II, the fort never saw battle and was never fully completed. Offered for public sale in 1926, Fort Clinch was sold by its owners to the State of Florida in 1935 and became one of the first nine Florida state parks. The fort was partially restored by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1937 to 1942. Later, the Florida Park Service performed a more comprehensive restoration from 1963 to 1971 and created one of the finest living history programs in the country, offering an interpretation of Fort Clinch as it was in 1864, when the federal army occupied the fort and Amelia Island. Today, Fort Clinch State Park offers a wide range of recreation resources to visitors.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467127875
: Arcadia Publishing
: 09/18/2017
: Florida
: Postcards of America
: 30 Black And White
: 6 (w) x 4.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Frank A. Ofeldt III began as a Fort Clinch volunteer in the fort’s interpretive program in the 1980s. After college, he began a career in 1993 with the Florida Park Service, for which he has served 24 years. He is an avid reader, researcher, and collector of American military antiques.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book