Sandy Bay National Harbor of Refuge and the Navy
In 1885, construction began on the second-largest deepwater harbor in the world—second only to Cherbourg, France—to be called the Sandy Bay National Harbor of Refuge. It would consist of a giant 9,000-foot granite breakwater that would offer safe harbor to over 5,000 vessels and enclose an area of 1,600 acres. As it was being built, the US North Atlantic Fleet began making annual visits to Rockport with its newest and largest warships, including most of Teddy Roosevelt’s Great White Fleet. These visits were designed to facilitate the fleet’s training maneuvers in the waters of Cape Ann as well as demonstrate the need for a protected harbor for national defense and security. Over a 30-year period, 21 annual visits occurred with more than 100 naval vessels, including battleships, cruisers, torpedo destroyers, submarines, dispatch yachts, and other support craft, anchoring in Sandy Bay Harbor.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467128704
: Arcadia Publishing
: 05/28/2018
: Massachusetts
: Images of America
: 202 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Paul St. Germain, local Cape Ann author and historian, has been a Rockport resident for 20 years and has written three other books in the Images of America series. With assistance from the Sandy Bay Historical Society archives, official US Navy files, and other private collections, he has developed a revealing record and interesting history of the building of the breakwater, the men, the ships, and the events surrounding the Navy visits that occurred from 1899 to 1919.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book