Schroeder's Department Store

$21.99
  • Overview
  • Details
  • Author
Overview
With financial help from his father, Peter Joseph Schroeder, Peter Schroeder opened a small dry goods business in 1891 at the southeast corner of Eighteenth and Washington Streets in the B. Mayer Building. Over the next five years, his brothers Joseph, John, and Frank joined the operation. In 1899, business was flourishing. The current three-story building was constructed at the northwest corner of Seventeenth and Washington Streets, and the store became a physical anchor in the downtown business district. The Schroeders believe in giving back to the community they call home. Over four generations, the Schroeders and their spouses donated more than 5,000 hours to various civic organizations in Two Rivers. Many changes have taken place at Schroeder's in its 126-year history. Today's store offers a full line of men's and women's apparel and footwear, as well as a coffeehouse and alterations. Schroeder's also leases space to a toy shop, yarn shop, quilt shop, and gift shop.
Details
ISBN: 9781467128988
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Date:
State: Wisconsin
Series: Images of America
Images: 170
Pages: 128
Dimensions: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
Author
Since 1891, many children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and now great-great-grandchildren have worked in the store. Today, the fourth generation of the family, represented by A.J. Schroeder and Theresa Kronforst, daughters of the late John Schroeder, continue to operate the store in their great-grandfather’s tradition of service to the lakeshore community. Photographs throughout the book are courtesy of the Schroeder vault.