South Philadelphia High School
South Philadelphia High School (SPHS) opened in 1907 as the Southern Manual Training School to prepare immigrant boys for work in various trades. The first class graduated in 1910, and the school was later expanded to include girls. In 1955, the original building was replaced by a new structure and became known as South Philadelphia High School. South Philadelphia High School has been called "The School of the Stars" because of the large number of former students who have achieved fame in music, movies, and television. However, this designation represents only a part of the school's significance. Southern's graduates have also achieved distinction in many other fields, such as medicine, law, civil service, military service, athletics, scholarship, writing, and teaching. It is an urban public high school serving a diverse population of immigrant, low-income families. South Philadelphia High School's history is a testimonial to what is possible when educators provide positive guidance and support to their students.
Arcadia Publishing
: 9781467129503
: Arcadia Publishing
: 08/20/2018
: Pennsylvania
: Campus History
: 182 Black And White
: 128
: 6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)
  • About the author
  • Reviews
  • Customer Reviews
  • More about this book
About the author
Dr. Tony Evangelisto is professor emeritus at The College of New Jersey. Marc Adelman is the SPHS Alumni Association archivist, Gene Alessandrini is an adjunct professor of mathematics at Camden County College, and Carol Evangelisto is a licensed professional counselor at The College of New Jersey. Dr. Evangelisto, Adelman, and Alessandrini are all Southern graduates. The authors compiled these images from the SPHS Archives, from the Urban Archives at Temple University, and from members of the South Philadelphia High School community.
Reviews
Customer Reviews
More about this book